Tirzepatide is a medication that has been approved by the FDA and is used to control type-2 diabetes. It also helps in the management of weight but works best when taken along with a healthy diet and exercise. This medicine works by decreasing the blood sugar levels and thereby, increasing the production of insulin in the body. It also makes you feel fuller for a long period of time and hence, promotes weight loss. It can be used either as a single therapy or in addition to other diabetes medicines.
According to m zafar md sc, the benefits are:
- Help lower blood sugar levels: Tirzepatide helps in the management of blood sugar levels by activating the GIP and GLP-1 receptors that play a crucial role in glucose regulation. This dual effect helps lower blood sugar levels by promoting the discretion of insulin and diminishing glucagon release.
- Promote weight loss: This medicine has proven to promote weight management in people with type-2 diabetes. There are various other medications for diabetes that can increase your weight but tirzepatide works differently. This medicine targets various receptors that control glucose and energy regulation. It suppresses the appetite of a person and increases the utilization of energy.
- Provides cardiovascular benefits: Because this medicine activates GLP-1 receptors, the risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attacks and strokes gets reduced significantly.
- Quite convenient to take: Tirzepatide can also be taken once a week to get desired results and this not only provides convenience to the patient but also ensures that they stick to this treatment.
- Renal benefits: There has been evidence that suggests that due to the activation of GIP and GLP-1 receptors, this medicine can also provide several renal protective effects to those suffering from type-2 diabetes.
- Lower hypoglycemic risk: Tirzepatide has a very low risk of hypoglycemia in comparison to various other medicines used to treat diabetes. It is mainly because this medicine promotes the secretion of glucose-dependent insulin.
However, this medicine is not suitable for everyone, especially for those who have a history of thyroid cancer. Hence, before you begin to take this medicine, tell your healthcare professional if you’re allergic to any medications or any of the ingredients found in tirzepatide. Moreover, you should also inform your doctor if you ever had any illness related to your kidney or pancreas. Pregnant women or those who are trying to get pregnant should avoid taking this medicine. You must also follow the directions on your prescription and take the medicine exactly as prescribed.