What are fibroids?
Uterine fibroids are small muscle tumours that can develop within or on the surface of the lining of the uterus. These small tumours can grow up to several pounds and centimetres in size. Though these fibroids are common and often recover on their own, in some cases, these may grow large enough to cause problems in getting pregnant, a bulky uterus, or other issues like severe pain and weakness.
What are its common symptoms?
Some common symptoms that are faced are as follows.
- Heavy bleeding during menstruation
- Feeling pressure or gaining weight in the abdomen region
- Recurring urge to urinate
- Bulky uterus’
- Difficulty in urination
- Too much pain during intercourse
- Anaemia due to heavy blood loss during the periods.
What are its general causes?
Factors that can lead to the formation of fibroids in women can be genetics and lifestyle.
- High consumption of Red meat
- Deficiency of Vitamin D in the body
- History of fibroids in close family
- Overweight women and women who started menstruation at a young age have higher chances of developing fibroids.
- Excess secretion of hormones like Estrogen and progesterone promotes the development and growth of uterine fibroids.
How to manage your Fibroid symptoms?
Managing your symptoms can make the treatment more effective and quick and reduce discomfort. Some of the ways you can take care of yourself and prevent the symptoms like pelvic pain and bulky uterus from worsening are as follows.
- Include fruits and vegetables in your diet: Eating fresh foods and leafy vegetables can reduce your risk of developing fibroids and discomfort if you have already grown fibroids in your uterus. Some of the fruits and vegetables which are best to improve your symptoms are apples, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, whole grain foods, and so on.
- Keep a regular check and track on your blood pressure.
- Manage your stress levels: Managing your stress is very crucial to ensure a quick recovery. Try yoga and meditation to benefit your mental health and relax you. Certain yoga poses can help you reduce menstrual pain that gets more severe due to fibroids.
- Workout regularly: Exercise can benefit you in many ways, from controlling your blood pressure to relieving stress. Studies show that regular women work out have the lowest risk of developing fibroids. Moreover, exercising can help you manage your weight and prevent obesity, one of the most common causes of developing fibroids.
- Keep your sugar consumption low: High consumption of sugar can increase the glucose levels of your blood as well as cause obesity.
- Don’t drink alcohol or consume a lot of caffeinated drinks.
- Don’t eat a lot of red meat or processed foods.
How are the diagnosis and treatment usually made?
Diagnosis for fibroids is usually made through imagery tests. An image of an enlarged and bulky uterus is seen, and further tests like ultrasound confirm the presence of fibroids.
In most mild cases, treatment can be completed through medication. Medicines are given to the patient to reduce the pain and control bleeding during menstruation. These medicines can also reduce the size of fibroids. Surgical processes like myomectomy are performed to remove fibroids from the uterus. A myomectomy is usually performed if the patient is trying to get pregnant soon. Some other standard procedures are as follows.
- Uterine artery embolization (UAE): This procedure destroys fibroids by stopping their blood supply.
- MRI-focused ultrasound therapy: This involves eliminating fibroids using high-intensity ultrasound waves.
- Hysterectomy: It is process in which the uterus is removed, but the ovaries are kept intact.
When does it get necessary to see a doctor?
Commonly, symptoms of fibroids are mild and go away on their own. But in some cases, they might get severe and require the attention of a skilled doctor. In such cases, you can go to Dr. Shweta Goswami, as she is the Best IVF Doctor in Noida. Now, how to recognize that you need the immediate attention of a doctor? When the symptoms get severe, and you start facing the following issues, you should immediately visit a professional doctor like Dr. Shweta Goswami, the famous IVF Doctor in Noida.
- You start bleeding between your menstrual cycles. You are losing too much blood during your periods.
- The cramps get too severe to handle.
- You feel heavy and swollen, especially in the pelvic and lower abdomen region.
Fibroids can be treated easily with mild medications if diagnosed at an early stage. Hence, if you start facing symptoms, visit Dr. Shweta Goswami at Zeeva clinic. She is the best IVF Doctor in Noida who will provide you with the best guidance through the diagnosis. For quick recovery, consult the best IVF Doctor in Noida, Dr. Shweta Goswami, for your treatment. She has helped numerous women treat fibroids and eliminate the discomforting symptoms.